play my favourite song.
Monday, September 08, 2008
It is really tough to be a teacher nowadays, especially one who teaches Social Work Honors class. I understand that we should fight/advocate for our rights but are we crossing the line? Hmm, I have no idea; but no matter what the outcome is I hope those involved will handle the issue sensitively and respectfully!

I admit that I used to have some stereotypes of foreign workers and I understand that most Singaporeans have a fear towards them (especially the blue collar workers). However, reading about the Serangoon Gardens dormitory debate really saddens me. They are those without a face, without a voice, and are often forgotten; but you cannot deny their contribution to Singapore and it must have been really hurting if they were to read of how Singaporeans think of them. Singaporeans often say how it would be unsafe when there are alot of foreign workers around (like one common example would be how they will rape people cause' they're sexually deprived). This is a horrible misconception cause' 1) raping is about power not just cause' one is sexually deprived and 2) I'm sure Singaporeans rape, Americans rape, Russians rape too! (HAA!) My point being that with a large number of people of a community, there are bound to be black sheep and it doesn't matter if you're a foreign worker anot. Ok, unless there is evidence (omg I'm so Alex Lee!) proving that (like some statistics from the police etc.) if not it should be debunked! They are also human beings and it's unfair that they have to receive such treatment just cause' of their nationality! ): I guess there generally has to be more education done on increasing awareness or interaction with the community for Singaporeans to view them as people, just like you and me! (:

It's times like this that I feel like I want to do more yet at the same time, at a loss of how to go about doing it..

Lotsa thoughts today after a nice hot bath after Yong He Dou Jiang after DR vetting (it went well by the way)! I ought to be shot, spending my time blogging when I should be preparing for my project meeting tomorrow! Anyway I love project meetings nowadays cause' it's really fun (like how we went Xiongkun's place to play with his pet prawn, sink in his beanie bag tingy/sister's water bed, be in awe of how his place is totally different from his lok kok ness!)

Shall go read up on Social Policies of Singapore from 1950s till now AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!